CanadaHelps.org – 83,000 Canadian charities accepting contributions online – you can even give charity gift cards as memorable holiday season or marker event gifts, for the person (who should know they have) with everything. Web site: canadahelps.org (http://www NULL.canadahelps NULL.org)
Lesser known charities where your money makes a huge difference:
- PanziFoundation.org (http://www NULL.panziFoundation NULL.org) – Did you know Congo is the rape capital of the world? Help victims get hospital treatment, counseling, and training that can change lives.
- Edna Hospital, Somaliland (http://www NULL.ednahospital NULL.org/) – be a part of this inspiring story of providing maternal health to women in a country with one of the highest infant mortality rates on the planet. Join Edna Adan Ismali – who ploughed her life savings into creating the hospital and now supports it with her pension – in transforming the lives of women and children.
- Union Gospel Mission (http://www NULL.ugm NULL.ca/), Vancouver – I learned about UGM from a close friend’s father, the late Glenn Baker, who was a United Church Minister there for a number of years. As a surburbanite child of middle-class parents, I had no exposure to poverty and the ravages of addiction. Their 6 month drug and alcohol recovery program is long enough to stabilize changes in many addicts and alcoholics, and they have been able to help many individuals and families find stable and affordable housing, breaking the cycle of homelessness and joblessness.
And two close to our hearts:
- The Aboriginal Healing Foundation (http://www NULL.ahf NULL.ca/) – Sechelt is a town located in traditional Shishalh territory, and we share this isthmus with the Sechelt people. Aboriginal people across Canada struggle mightily with addiction, homelessness, and chronic poverty and it will be a wholesale cultural program that will restore families and social structures so damaged over the last 100 years.
- It Gets Better Project (http://www NULL.itgetsbetterproject NULL.com) – telling the stories of gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual people, and those who love them – with advocacy, videos, and help from adults who are leading healthy GLBT lives. GLBT youth in crisis can get immediate assistance from The Trevor Project (http://www NULL.itgetsbetter NULL.org/pages/get-help/) (866-4-U-TREVOR 866-488-7386) and find mentors to help them transition into healthy adulthood. Buy a t-shirt and your donation funds life-saving suicide prevention services and anti-bullying efforts.
From the wall…
Ever wonder what, exactly, a web designer does all day? This is why you pay me to do it for you.
Monika Melvin What a Day you had!!!See you Tuesday
May 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm
Try Limit Logins plugin to prevent future brute force attacks on wordpress admin login: http://bit.ly/10ONFNw
As soon as login access restored to your wp site, change password to min. 8 digits, u/l case and sp. characters
Brute Force Attack blocks admin access to most wordpress self-hosted web sites http://bit.ly/120qtyN Mult hosts affected
Do you know how facebook users can designate your facebook page updates as negative? And what happens when they do?
"NERD LIFE, and I have the shirt..." on their own photo.
My new hot desk digs at FUSE Community Work Hub. Nice to be back in the old Stern & Associates space with a whole new kind of energy
Erin Whalen But what do the knuckle tattoos say?
April 8, 2013 at 6:55 pm
Bad Dog Design Inc. NERD LIFE, and I have the shirt on to match :)
April 8, 2013 at 8:45 pm
Erin Whalen Nice!!!
April 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm
Bad Dog Design Inc. It's pretty sweet watching the world go by outside, from a bird's eye view
April 8, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Yelp.ca is the 'crowbar of marketing'. It gives you LEVERAGE. - Yelp In Your Words Webinar
The Sunshine Coast may be 'cottage country' but what if people are looking for cabins instead? (This handy little graph comes from Google Trends)
Mary Craziness So how do you define the difference between the two?
March 12, 2013 at 4:00 am
Bad Dog Design Inc. updated their cover photo.
Erin Whalen Love it!
March 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm
"Pauline Johnson, a Mohawk from the Six Nations of the Grand River, is listed as being the first indigenous woman to be on a Canadian stamp in 1961. She was the first author and first woman other than the Queen to be featured on a stamp."
Another one from Terry O'Reilly spinetingling in approach, and who would think to do this via radio? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fWcfTXGQXbk
Check out this brilliant radio campaign Snickers did to take their 'you're not you when you're hungry' TV campaign to the airwaves... from Terry O'Reilly's brilliant podcast series, The Age of Influence on CBC.ca
@sproutsocial social media mgt tool adds posting of images to directly to timeline on FB: http://bit.ly/YB2g07
#Yahoo #work-from-home policy chg firing up ppl everywhere http://bit.ly/YEMtO2 Mbe at-work perf bonuses a betr option?
#Wordpress #Plugins: Wield them wisely! Podcast for beg-intermed users http://bit.ly/YZijTx
Have 6 hours to learn a trick in Photoshop? http://bit.ly/YZht9q
This week it's all about HTML. Old HTML. A great way to revitalize the old synapses is to get inside complex tables, scripting and multi-threaded breadcrumb trails and keep it all balanced in your head. (Photo by http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-margie/ - great work!)
Stoked on the energy from Aboriginal Business Match 2013. What a great event... and if you're looking for an event manager, I highly recommend http://www.RavenEvents.ca - everything went off without a hitch and I can't remember having as much fun at a conference.
Learning how to eliminate 'mental noise' in conversations and creat effective communication
"Thanks - it's exciting to be..." on their own photo.
All ready to go at Aboriginal Business Match in Penticton. First Nations economic development at work.
Karen Amore-Mueller Booth looks great and so do you, Laurie! Good luck. :)
February 19, 2013 at 4:16 am
Bad Dog Design Inc. Thanks - it's exciting to be involved in First Nations economic development
February 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm
"We're excited about our first ABM conference - safe travels to all of our fellow attendees, and we look forward to meeting you next week! Bring your social media questions :)" on Aboriginal Business Match 2013's timeline.
Have a smartphone? Grab the Q code!
Check out the QR Deal...