CanadaHelps.org – 83,000 Canadian charities accepting contributions online – you can even give charity gift cards as memorable holiday season or marker event gifts, for the person (who should know they have) with everything. Web site: canadahelps.org (http://www NULL.canadahelps NULL.org)
Lesser known charities where your money makes a huge difference:
- PanziFoundation.org (http://www NULL.panziFoundation NULL.org) – Did you know Congo is the rape capital of the world? Help victims get hospital treatment, counseling, and training that can change lives.
- Edna Hospital, Somaliland (http://www NULL.ednahospital NULL.org/) – be a part of this inspiring story of providing maternal health to women in a country with one of the highest infant mortality rates on the planet. Join Edna Adan Ismali – who ploughed her life savings into creating the hospital and now supports it with her pension – in transforming the lives of women and children.
- Union Gospel Mission (http://www NULL.ugm NULL.ca/), Vancouver – I learned about UGM from a close friend’s father, the late Glenn Baker, who was a United Church Minister there for a number of years. As a surburbanite child of middle-class parents, I had no exposure to poverty and the ravages of addiction. Their 6 month drug and alcohol recovery program is long enough to stabilize changes in many addicts and alcoholics, and they have been able to help many individuals and families find stable and affordable housing, breaking the cycle of homelessness and joblessness.
And two close to our hearts:
- The Aboriginal Healing Foundation (http://www NULL.ahf NULL.ca/) – Sechelt is a town located in traditional Shishalh territory, and we share this isthmus with the Sechelt people. Aboriginal people across Canada struggle mightily with addiction, homelessness, and chronic poverty and it will be a wholesale cultural program that will restore families and social structures so damaged over the last 100 years.
- It Gets Better Project (http://www NULL.itgetsbetterproject NULL.com) – telling the stories of gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual people, and those who love them – with advocacy, videos, and help from adults who are leading healthy GLBT lives. GLBT youth in crisis can get immediate assistance from The Trevor Project (http://www NULL.itgetsbetter NULL.org/pages/get-help/) (866-4-U-TREVOR 866-488-7386) and find mentors to help them transition into healthy adulthood. Buy a t-shirt and your donation funds life-saving suicide prevention services and anti-bullying efforts.
From the wall…
July is jam-packed on the Sunshine Coast, leading into peak festival season. Find all the info you need to plan a summer holiday, prepare for a move to the Sunshine Coast, or make the most out of life as a Coast resident.
WARNING: PHISHING ATTEMPT THROUGH PAYPAL LOOKALIKE: I had this confirmed by firstname.lastname@example.org this morning as a malicious phishing attempt (tricking user into providing personal information). If you receive one delete it immediately.
WARNING: ***BOGUS DOMAIN TRANSFER EMAILS*** Please read and share in your networks.
One of my clients received this message yesterday. It is an attempt by the DOMAIN REGISTRY OF CANADA TO STEAL the registration of their domain name away from their current registrar. It looks official, governmental, and has a fake Order # in the subject line that creates the appearance of a transaction already in progress. THESE ALWAYS COME MORE THAN 60 DAYS BEFORE YOUR DOMAIN RENEWAL DATE. (Domains can not be transferred to another registrar within 60 days of renewal for this very reason).
DRC WILL ALSO SEND OFFICIAL-LOOKING SNAIL/PRINTED MAIL with a place for a signature and the look of an invoice.
Inform your registrar if you receive any such digital or printed information from this company.
""Under section 66, consent to..." on their own link.
Are you ready for Canada's Anti-Spam law coming into force on July 1?
"After July 1, 2014 there will be restrictions on the extent to which you can send electronic messages, including electronic messages that are designed to ask for consent to send commercial electronic messages."
Fines can reach as high as $1M for individuals and $10M for companies.
Get your mailing lists verified via double opt-in BEFORE the end of June, and consider canvassing local clients and obtaining an old-fashioned signature accepting your electronic correspondence.
Full Details: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/casl-lcap.htm
Bad Dog Design Inc. "Under section 66, consent to send commercial electronic messages (CEMs) is implied for a period of 36 months beginning July 1, 2014, where there is an existing business or non-business relationship that includes the communication of CEMs. Note however, that this three-year period of implied consent will end if the recipient indicates that they no longer consent to receiving CEMs. During the transitional period, the definitions of existing business and non-business relationships are not subject to the limitation periods that would otherwise be applicable under section 10 of CASL. Businesses and people may take advantage of this transitional period to seek express consent for the continued sending of CEMs.
In contrast, express consent does not expire after a certain period of time has passed. If you obtain valid express consent before July 1, 2014, then that express consent remains valid after the legislation comes into force. It does not expire, until the recipient withdraws their consent."
May 27, 2014 at 6:28 pm
Perhaps why Instagram is gaining traffic so fast? How do you feel about 'Promoted Pins'? Given that they are just photos with other photos maybe the ads won't be so intrusive?
Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water... duh-duh, da-duh-da-duh-da-duh... fin slashes surface Bad Dog has your back!
Getty Images announces new embed feature allowing sites to use stock images with attribution and linking for photographer. Great alternative to lawsuits r'us.
Saw this piece from Twitter for business - I wonder how relevant the stats are for rurally-located businesses.
"Mobile has channels. Channels are pathways. In other words, they’re delivery mechanisms through which verbal, written or aural messages are communicated. Some of these delivery mechanisms include mobile display, mobile apps, websites, paid search and others." - 60 Second Marketer
Get a look at the redesigned Pender Harbour Resort at http://www.phrm.ca and book your Easter vacation!
The meme echo chamber on Facebook may be getting quieter... do you like, love, or loathe the photos with words on them, visual inspirational quotes that replicate like rabbits in our feeds?
A pretty telling video about why Facebook advertising to grow likes doesn't work. We'll see if this makes it past the censors.
Bad Dog Design Inc. updated their cover photo.
A question for 2014 design trends... do you prefer standard/traditional web sites for companies you interact with, or one-page scrolling sites (Parallax style)?
Traditional web sites have links that lead to other pages that can be bookmarked/shared;
Parallax scroll lengthwise and/or horizontally and when a link is clicked on the page 'jumps' to the place in the content the link is connected to.
Here's two examples:
The new Parallax scrolling one-page design: http://jacksonvilleartwalk.com/ (image below, with link)
Merlin uses a more traditional format: http://bit.ly/1dqEpty
Bad Dog Design Inc. updated their cover photo.
.aup .mp3 .ogg .html .php .jpg .png SEO Ning MemberPlanet Sitebuilder GIS .asp Joomla Wordpress YARPP Photoshop Dreamweaver Elance Odesk Blogvault SlideshowPro - all in a typical day's work!
What does your punctuation say about you? http://bit.ly/1cm6gbP
What days are best for Facebook & Twitter engagement? Find out here: http://bit.ly/18hhmdA
When social media campaigns backfire, they REALLY backfire.
Pretty interesting piece on the 'structure' of engaging in social media.
Looking for web design inspiration? Check out Susana Rios' boards on Pinterest - typography, icons, user interface design, paper art...
Erin Whalen Wow... she's really using Pinterest to the fullest!
November 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Have a smartphone? Grab the Q code!
Check out the QR Deal...