CanadaHelps.org – 83,000 Canadian charities accepting contributions online – you can even give charity gift cards as memorable holiday season or marker event gifts, for the person (who should know they have) with everything. Web site: canadahelps.org (http://www NULL.canadahelps NULL.org)
Lesser known charities where your money makes a huge difference:
- PanziFoundation.org (http://www NULL.panziFoundation NULL.org) – Did you know Congo is the rape capital of the world? Help victims get hospital treatment, counseling, and training that can change lives.
- Edna Hospital, Somaliland (http://www NULL.ednahospital NULL.org/) – be a part of this inspiring story of providing maternal health to women in a country with one of the highest infant mortality rates on the planet. Join Edna Adan Ismali – who ploughed her life savings into creating the hospital and now supports it with her pension – in transforming the lives of women and children.
- Union Gospel Mission (http://www NULL.ugm NULL.ca/), Vancouver – I learned about UGM from a close friend’s father, the late Glenn Baker, who was a United Church Minister there for a number of years. As a surburbanite child of middle-class parents, I had no exposure to poverty and the ravages of addiction. Their 6 month drug and alcohol recovery program is long enough to stabilize changes in many addicts and alcoholics, and they have been able to help many individuals and families find stable and affordable housing, breaking the cycle of homelessness and joblessness.
And two close to our hearts:
- The Aboriginal Healing Foundation (http://www NULL.ahf NULL.ca/) – Sechelt is a town located in traditional Shishalh territory, and we share this isthmus with the Sechelt people. Aboriginal people across Canada struggle mightily with addiction, homelessness, and chronic poverty and it will be a wholesale cultural program that will restore families and social structures so damaged over the last 100 years.
- It Gets Better Project (http://www NULL.itgetsbetterproject NULL.com) – telling the stories of gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual people, and those who love them – with advocacy, videos, and help from adults who are leading healthy GLBT lives. GLBT youth in crisis can get immediate assistance from The Trevor Project (http://www NULL.itgetsbetter NULL.org/pages/get-help/) (866-4-U-TREVOR 866-488-7386) and find mentors to help them transition into healthy adulthood. Buy a t-shirt and your donation funds life-saving suicide prevention services and anti-bullying efforts.
From the wall…
Getty Images announces new embed feature allowing sites to use stock images with attribution and linking for photographer. Great alternative to lawsuits r'us.
Saw this piece from Twitter for business - I wonder how relevant the stats are for rurally-located businesses.
"Mobile has channels. Channels are pathways. In other words, they’re delivery mechanisms through which verbal, written or aural messages are communicated. Some of these delivery mechanisms include mobile display, mobile apps, websites, paid search and others." - 60 Second Marketer
Get a look at the redesigned Pender Harbour Resort at http://www.phrm.ca and book your Easter vacation!
The meme echo chamber on Facebook may be getting quieter... do you like, love, or loathe the photos with words on them, visual inspirational quotes that replicate like rabbits in our feeds?
A pretty telling video about why Facebook advertising to grow likes doesn't work. We'll see if this makes it past the censors.
Bad Dog Design Inc. updated their cover photo.
A question for 2014 design trends... do you prefer standard/traditional web sites for companies you interact with, or one-page scrolling sites (Parallax style)?
Traditional web sites have links that lead to other pages that can be bookmarked/shared;
Parallax scroll lengthwise and/or horizontally and when a link is clicked on the page 'jumps' to the place in the content the link is connected to.
Here's two examples:
The new Parallax scrolling one-page design: http://jacksonvilleartwalk.com/ (image below, with link)
Merlin uses a more traditional format: http://bit.ly/1dqEpty
Bad Dog Design Inc. updated their cover photo.
.aup .mp3 .ogg .html .php .jpg .png SEO Ning MemberPlanet Sitebuilder GIS .asp Joomla Wordpress YARPP Photoshop Dreamweaver Elance Odesk Blogvault SlideshowPro - all in a typical day's work!
What does your punctuation say about you? http://bit.ly/1cm6gbP
What days are best for Facebook & Twitter engagement? Find out here: http://bit.ly/18hhmdA
When social media campaigns backfire, they REALLY backfire.
Pretty interesting piece on the 'structure' of engaging in social media.
Looking for web design inspiration? Check out Susana Rios' boards on Pinterest - typography, icons, user interface design, paper art...
Erin Whalen Wow... she's really using Pinterest to the fullest!
November 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm
HOT HOW TO: Get your business included in Pinterest's new 'Place Pins' with Foursquare
Congratulations to Laurie McConnell of Bad Dog Design Inc. - Volunteer of the Year at Community Futures BC!
Now stop raising the bar so high!
Off to the #soulandstrategyretreat with Leah Goard - business/life transformation 101 http://bit.ly/19E1vZ7
I love offering 'Pet Geek' services to clients in jams.
There's something about salvaging an often very stressful process and relieving psychological pain that is one of the best parts of my job.
It helps having a personality that enjoys triumphing over odds, employing diplomacy between folks at odds, finding needles in haystacks, and being doggedly persistent with technical support systems and people that is very satisfying.
Tried it? Have an opinion? Will it ever be a credible competitor to Wordpress? Comment below & share in your networks as I'm hugely curious about this system, given a long-time Wordpress architect is the creator at the core of the idea. Now in public release!
Today's Bigpacific.com press release made The Province and Canada.com. Fantastic SEO and reach for business press release services - watch for more details.
Looking for insights on Facebook marketing? Learn from successful small businesses here:
How do you manage your passwords? For folks who don't want anything saved online, here's an option:
Pretty happy with the results from yesterday's press release broadcast for Leah Goard's Soul & Strategy Retreat... #1 in google for 'strategic business planning retreat canada' out of 75+ MILLION results; top 10 for 'celebrate small business week canada', 85+ million results. 22,000+ headline impressions and pickup in various web sites and news aggregators.
$199 distribution and release writing services are available! email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to get started.
Have a smartphone? Grab the Q code!
Check out the QR Deal...